Renamed Kelvin Hall: 15th June, 1959.
Closed: 5th October, 1964.
Partick Central Station was renamed Kelvin Hall on 15th June, 1959, prior to the opening of the Scottish Industries Exhibition, and many special trains were run to the station for the event. In connection with the exhibition, the 'famous four' preserved Scottish locomotives were restored to working order and returned to service, and many of the special trains which ran from all parts of Scotland were headed by pairs of these locomotives; the preserved GWR 4-4-0 'City of Truro' was also used. The siding at the rear of the station served a scrap metal merchant and an oil depot, and it remained in situ until 1978 when it was closed due to work in preparation for the reopening of the Argyle Line. The entrance to the station was built on a stone-faced embankment which was founded on the rocky bed of the River Kelvin below.
A Cravens (Class 105) 2-car DMU stands at Kelvin Hall Station on 5th September, 1959, whilst working a shuttle service from Glasgow Central Low Level in connection with the Scottish Industries Exhibition at the Kelvin Hall. The return fare for the four-minute journey was 8d (3½p), and the DMU ran empty from Glasgow Central Low Level to Bridgeton for reversal. Kelvin Hall Station was specially decorated for the event and received temporary electric lighting. [W.A.C. Smith]
Ex-LNER Class B1 4-6-0 No. 61108 enters Kelvin Hall (formerly Partick Central) Station with an excursion train in connection with the Scottish Industries Exhibition at the Kelvin Hall on 9th September, 1959. [W.S. Sellar]
Ex-LMSR Class 5 4-6-0 No. 45169 stands at Kelvin Hall Station on 17th September, 1959, with the 6.37pm Scottish Industries Exhibition special to Dumfries. The street-level Lanarkshire & Dumbartonshire Railway station building was fashionably decorated for the occasion. [W.A.C. Smith]
Viewed from Benalder Street, Partick, BR Standard Class 4 2-6-4T No. 80086 heads the 5.19pm train from Rutherglen to Possil out of Stobcross Tunnel and across the River Kelvin towards Kelvin Hall Station on 19th July, 1961. [W.A.C. Smith]
A view of the eastern approach to the former Partick Central Station on 30th January, 1997. Although the station was closed to passenger and goods traffic on 5th October, 1964, the embankment and the bridge over the River Kelvin remained in situ. The railings and station platform remained, but were concealed by a mass of bushes. The black structure in the centre of the photo also remained, but the demolition of other buildings to the right of the photo revealed the roof of the Kelvin Hall in the background. [Keith Sanders]